Image Map

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Nursery Progress

On Monday, I took the day to run errands for some of the nursery projects I was working on as well as grab a yard stick to paint the stripes on the one accent wall. I had a great trip to Hobby Lobby and picked up some really good deals.

I still haven't entirely figured out what I'm putting up on the walls but I have a great start - I bought some prints from Etsy (here) a while back and got them in last week. They look great in the white frames I had bought a month ago and will be super cute on the walls. I did buy some more wood frames and spray painted them white - they are different sizes and will work great in the collage of prints I'm thinking of doing.

Wooden frame spray painted white

I bought this large "C" which was originally a glossy black/gold color, so I sanded it down and spray painted it a bright yellow. Nick & I decided the yellow was too bright (I believe he called it "Wayne State yellow"), so I'm planning to check out other shades of yellow to find one I like better. If I do get this to work, my plan is to hang this on the wall above the crib and hang a black frame around it - no glass or back on the frame. We'll see...

"Wayne State Yellow" letter C

I picked up these letters for $.99 a piece and decided to spray paint them metallic silver - I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do with them yet - either hang them or incorporate them on the dresser, book shelf...somewhere in the room. I really like the way they turned out!


Check out the Metallic Silver paint on the "Z"

I had been looking at some mobiles online to hang above the crib, but the ones I wanted were SO expensive and I'm trying to refrain from overspending on the nursery decor. So....I found some different ways to create a focal point and the poofs were my favorite. Plus it was VERY easy to make:

For the first "poof" I used 10 sheets of yellow tissue paper.
I folded the entire pile into 1 1/2 inch sections and then secured the paper
 in the center with floral wire (fold the floral wire over the center of the paper,
twist to secure & cut off the excess wire). Cut the ends into points, round them,
what ever you prefer (I cut points on this one).

Fan out the paper very carefully (it tears easily).

Pull the fanned tissue paper out piece by piece to form your "poof" - then hook
a piece of fishing line through the floral wire to create your "hanger." Voila!
Nick thinks it's too girlie so I'm going to incorporate some gray, white and maybe buy some shapes to hang with them (I'm a big fan of stars). I think it could turn out nice and be a colorful distraction for Little Mango.

Then it was onto the biggest task of the day which was completing the stripes on the accent wall - what a pain! I finally got them done and straight - expect to see pics posted soon....


1 comment:

  1. All of your nursery pics look amazing! I love the colors and the stripes on the wall - good work!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile! Thanks for taking the time to share some love =)