Image Map

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Movies: One of my Favorite Past Times...

I love movies....and going to movies at the theater...

One of our favorite "dates" is going to a movie. The absolute best is going to the theater on a Monday afternoon at 4pm when the movies are still $4.50 per person, the popcorn is fresh and the theater is almost empty. The last time we went to a weekend night movie was a few months back when we met Marc & Britt for Bridesmaids (my 2nd time seeing the movie)...oh, but I lied, I also went to Hangover 2 the first time for our movie premier for work....both times on a Friday and both times miserable. We had to sit right on top of everyone and in the bottom seats that are not inclined and you have to stretch your neck to see the entire screen.

We have been to A LOT of movies lately. Whether its because I'm preggo and there isn't a lot for us to do on our nights (days) out or the fact that we simply LOVE movies....and did I mention movie theater popcorn? There is a reason the good popcorn you get at home is called Movie Theater Butter....because it's so delicious.

We went to a movie yesterday and the previous Monday and I have to say I feel like we've been stretching to get a good movie the past couple of times. While we still have fun....it makes me wonder, are we going so often that we are reverting to the junk B List movies just to get out of the house?  Here are my (personal) ratings on the movies we've seen lately:
  • The Change-Up (D+) - funny at times (though minimal). The only saving grace was Ryan Reynolds (though he was kind of a douche) and the leading ladies: Olivia Wilde and Leslie Mann.
  • 30 Minutes or Less (C-) - eh, so a bit funnier than The Change-Up but lord did it seem they were trying too hard
  • Planet of the Apes 2 (A) - much better than I anticipated and way different than the first remake with Mark Wahlberg. Big monkey fan after this movie.
  • Friends With Benefits (A+) - was definitely a close 2nd to Bridesmaids. Good story line and I love Justin Timberlake's and Mila Kunis' roles. Funny and a bit of romance.
  • Horrible Bosses (B) - loved Jennifer Aniston's role in this movie (scratch that: I just love her), but the plot was silly and they main characters tried too hard to be funny. Plus I was very annoyed by the end of the movie because of the voice Charlie Day's character. 
  • Bad Teacher (C+/B-) - Cameron Diaz was good and I loved her wardrobe....otherwise, not a great movie. Definitely a renter.
  • Hangover 2 (A-) - definitely not as good as the first, but I love the cast and the basic plot. Plus, what's not to love about Bradley Cooper?
  • Bridesmaids (A+) - favorite movie of the year! Hilarious...I saw it twice and can't wait for it to come out on video.
What am I excited about?
  • Twilight: Breaking Dawn - uh hello! I'm Team Edward all the way! Completely addicted to these movies and a 18 months was WAAAY to long to wait between movies. Tessa and I are trying to figure out when we should go - before Little Mango is here (could the excitement put me into premature labor and do we really want to battle the crowds) or afterwards (who knows when we will actually make it out for a movie....I have a feeling I'm not going to be up to it).
  • The Help - I'm reading the book and once I finish I know I'm going to be ready to get to the theater....though, I don't think this is a good movie for Nick & I.
  • Crazy, Stupid, Love - even with a good review from Ross & Morgan....Nick still isn't sold. He's not a fan of Steve Carrell in anything but comedies.
  • Columbiana - heard about this from Nick and it sounds good. I like Zoe Saldana and it sounds like she is a bad ass in this movie.
It looks like I've got some movies to see before Little Mango gets here because I know it's going to be very difficult for us to get away for a quick afternoon movie once he's arrived. We talked about how easy it would be to bring him to a Monday afternoon movie since we are generally the only ones in there....but do we really want to be those people who bring a baby into a movie theater...no matter how good that baby is?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile! Thanks for taking the time to share some love =)