Image Map

Thursday, June 16, 2011

16 Weeks: What's New...

Due Date: November 26th

Baby developments: Little Mango is the size of an avocado this week. Tiny bones are forming in his ears which means he can now pick up my voice. Eyebrows, eyelashes and hair are starting to fill in and taste buds are forming. Check out this illustration of a 16 week old fetus...crazy - 16 weeks.

Weight gain: I'm definitely hovering above pre-pregnancy weight this week - at about 1 or 2 lbs on any given morning. It looks like I should plan on gaining anywhere from 12-14 pounds this trimester - here we go!

Cravings: warm pretzel & cheese - had one at Brickhouse on Sunday and it was amazing! Sweets continue to tempt me day in and day out as well.

Aversions: I have never really been a meat person, but I definitely am not interested in much meat unless it comes in a BLT or on a sandwich.

Symptoms: I'm still throwing up a bit, but not all day long which is great. Guaranteed at least once or twice a night. My stylist said my hair is getting thicker which is supposed to happen, but I'm not 100% convinced it has as of yet. And I know this is weird, but every morning when I get up to use the ladies room, it feels as though my insides all shift lower as my bladder empties out - there is a lot of movement in there.

I am loving: obviously I'm waiting until we find out the sex of the baby to plan the nursery, but I've found some great creative sites that I've been wasting hours looking over and I'm getting some really fun ideas for either a boy or a girl. We are planning to put the nursery in the spare room upstairs and will be moving that bedroom furniture to the basement spare room, so yesterday we gave Nick's mom the furniture that is currently in the basement spare room and are ready to move the rest downstairs. AND I finally cleaned out the closet in the soon-to-be nursery! FINALLY. As well as organized my bedroom closet and the closet in the office. It feels good!

Sleep: Great - sleeping at least 8 hours each night and I can really tell if I miss my 8 hour mark or stay up past 10pm - the next day I'm a zombie.

I miss:  it's summer time and I really would love a cocktail. With baseball games, CWS, BBQs and the 4th of July Okoboji trip coming up, I am really missing a nice, ice cold beer!

I am looking forward to: finding out the sex of the baby! We have an ultrasound on 6/29 and as long as Little Mango cooperates, we should find out!

Best moment this week: I am pretty sure I felt fluttering in my belly on Friday. I was sitting at my desk at work and my right side of my belly was going crazy. It didn't feel like normal body movements and was pretty cool! I looked it up to see if it could be right and realize that they call it "quickening" in doctor's terms and it can happen as early as 12 weeks for some mamas. Of course when I was on the phone with my dad later that day, he dashed my hopes and had to blurt out, "it's probably just gas, Kate." Thanks, dad.

Milestones: I've never been a fan of using "weeks" rather than "months" and "years," but that of course is the rule of the road in baby talk. So, brainiac that I am, finally figured out that 16 weeks is FOUR MONTHS. I've been complaining that the time is going sooooo sllooooww, but when I think that I'm already at four months it really doesn't seem that bad - not too long and we will be over the halfway mark!

Movement: see "best moment this week" - I think I felt my first bit of fluttering on Friday!

It's a ...: not sure. What do you guys think?

Exercise: has been pretty good. I started going back to Lifetime this week. I know, don't get excited because it's only been a couple of days, but I have really preferred using the elliptical to running outside every day and there are a lot of weights and room for me to tone my arms and legs as well. Hopefully I can keep it up.

Diet: a lot of Subway sandwiches, apples, Baked Lays and probably too much Diet Pepsi. I'm trying to stay within the 200mg allowed / day, but I tell you that sometimes you just need some caffeine.

Goals for the upcoming week: limit my caffeine intake to at most one Diet Pepsi every other day if not better.

Belly shot: One of my employees walked into my office today as I was leaning back in my chair and blurts out "whoa - look at that belly!" Really? Thanks for calling out what I've been staring at all week long with a mix of awe and horror.  I swear this baby has grown leaps & bounds this week.  But even with the growth, I'm still in that awkward phase where with my everyday clothes on and the wind blowing just right, it's hard to tell if I've just gained some weight or if I'm preggo. Not ideal to get the "looks" from strangers - and you better believe I notice them.
16 week ripe belly shot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile! Thanks for taking the time to share some love =)