Image Map

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Just Listening to Some Music

Do you ever find that when you're listening to the radio and certain songs come on it brings you back to a memory of a place or a person or a special little dance you made up with your friend back in the day?  I swear this has been happening to me a lot lately...maybe it's my love for 90s on 9 on Sirius or just the fact that I have some really great memories with some of my favorite people that happen to involve music.

For example, I was driving from work last night to pick up little man and Notorious B.I.G. 'Mo Money' came on the radio and I just had to turn it up loud, roll down the windows and rock out. Seriously...and people were staaarrring something fierce at ol' girl. I immediately thought of my sister, Tessa, and how she introduced me to this song when she was in college and I was still in high school and taught me how to "throw my rollie in the sky" and "wave it side to side" and every time that song comes on and that part comes on, my right arm goes up in the sky and I wave it side to side like you wouldn't believe!

So it got me thinking about other songs that bring me back to different memories as soon as they come on...

Like the Fugees "Killing Me Softly," my bestie, Angie and I would take mains around our hometown and sing every single word, thinking we were too cool for school. Or Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby" and Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" (I know..what a mix, right?) which we played over and over on trips to Norfolk to see these guys we liked in high school.

Or 3 Doors Down "Here Without You" - the song that defined my feelings when I was living alone in New York City and the hubby and I were on a "break" (you know, the Ross & Rachel kind) during my time there and then reconnected and he emailed me to listen to this song and it totally helped us realize that we needed to get back together.

Another would be Sarah McLaughlin's "I Will Remember You" which was our cheesy high school graduation song, but was made more important to me when my bestie, Katie played it on repeat while she gave birth to her son Blake...and every time that song comes on, I break down into massive tears thinking about her and Angie and all of the amazing times we've had together.

Or John Mayer's "Your Body Is A Wonderland" which was on repeat along with his entire CD on my spring break trip with Heather to Denver. We just happened to pick Denver during the worst snow storm they had seen in years, barely made it to our hotel before the entire city shut down and managed to have one of the most fun weekends ever.

Just typing all of this brought back some great memories and makes me think of some of the great times I've been fortunate enough to have in my life.

What songs bring back these types of memories for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile! Thanks for taking the time to share some love =)